Sunday, June 29, 2008

6 Lessons from Grace

Nope, I'm not talking about a girl named Grace. Rather, I referring to Grace Assembly of God which I visited this morning. Decided to check it out since it's just in the heartlands of Bukit Batok where I reside. Don't ask me why I decided to ponteng my usual church today. Let's just say that I stayed out late last night and wanted the luxury of sleeping in on a Sunday morning. Enough said, here are some of my own personal takeaways from the experience--a tremendous one...

1. "I don't believe in God but I miss Him" vs. "I believe in God but I don't miss Him."
Do you find yourself in the first category or the second? The pastor preached this today (said he read the first phrase in Readers Digest) and I thought it was very sharp. The first mostly describes an independent-spirited non-believer who reveals his/her vulnerability in the storms of life and need for affirmation and love (our non-Christian friends?). Many of us may fall in the second group. We are believers by name but have lost ourselves in the business of the world--distracted and caught up with our lives here. For me, I just want to miss Him. I don't want to shed my dependency on Him because it's sometimes so tiring just trying so desperately hard on my own and giving in to my human pride. That leads me to my second lesson learnt...

2. We need to miss God. 
This links to one of my earlier blog postings on experiencing intimacy with God (the 4th myth of intimacy). We can't possibly experience the fullness of intimacy of God in this world; our limitations are too severe--we can't neglect our work, our flesh is weak, we're lazy and distracted, etc. Furthermore, like what I learnt today, we are physically separated from the fellowship of God. Until the day we meet God in heaven, we'll miss Him on earth and look forward to the day we can fellowship with Him in eternity. Long for Him. If you find yourself not missing Him or desiring after Him like how a wife misses her husband when he has to go abroad to work, pray and ask Him for that longing and yearning. 

3. Age holds no barriers.
Watching some oldies lifting their hands as the worship team played "Shout of the King" and "King of Majesty" at Grace Assembly was so inspiring. The choir, made up for middle-aged ladies, sang and clapped with so much energy and verve! When I went back to my youth service today and watched our beloved thirteen-year-old play beautifully on the keyboard, it was a gorgeous sight. But when I saw her sing so fervently and passionately as she played, the sight of that touched my heart even more and tears began to well in my eyes. Sometimes when I watch my youths so deeply absorbed in their worship, it moves me greatly. Age holds no barriers...it's the heart that rejoices before Him that matters...

4. Our bodies are instruments of praise.
The first thing I noticed when I stepped in as they began the service at Grace was the presence of tambourine dancers. I was so captivated by their form of worship. It has always been my desire to see a dance ministry develop in church. It's such a beautiful way to worship God because in dance one releases all inhibitions and the entire body is used as an instrument to worship God. During the service, I readily lifted my arms and clapped my hands--it was so natural to do so because I just felt so engulfed by the presence of God. It wasn't simply just the cool music or large and nicely-decorated sanctuary; it was the earnestness and fervor of the congregation, all wanting to seek God and use their bodies--their voice, limbs and hearts--to worship God that spurred me on. I was so inspired that I penned some lyrics--though a bit amateurish, they are a reflection of my heartfelt desire and eagerness to worship God.

5. I'm just one talent among many. But that's okay!
Having served in a small church for a while now, I have all along felt comfortable with my talents. You know you are pretty much above average where you are. Once in a while, you let your pride get to you or you assure yourself that you are good. When you enter the sea and leave the pond, you realize that you're just another talent. You are blown away by the tremendous talent beyond the pond. I've been confronted by this thought several times as I contemplated my future in a bigger church when I do move to New York. Today, it came to me again. However, today I felt so satisfied just being in the congregation and I uttered in my heart "God, if you could just allow me to be among your choir of angels in heaven!" I just want to serve Him with others; I don't have to be outstanding. I don't want to feed my pride.

6. How nice if we could just learn from each other!
It was so refreshing being in a different church today. The culture was very pleasant to me. I really liked how many members worshipped passionately, how the worship team encouraged each other in a debrief following the service, how the Pastor preached so brilliantly revealing God's anointing on his life and his gifting in ministry (he was sharp and perceptive), etc. There were so many things that we could learn from. In my mind sparked questions like "Do the AOG churches have a best practices sharing?", "Would it be a good idea to have a worship director and division in the AOG council?" Sometimes, we get so caught up in forging our own church identity and protecting our own church doctrines and traditions from being eroded and "contaminated" by emerging pop cultures from other churches that we miss out on learning from each other. Grace Assembly has a wonderful organizational culture that makes it an inviting place to go to. It's not just the fancy outlook, but an entire packaging and marketing strategy from its locations to the type of equipment they invest in. The reality is this: we live in a world where marketing is important. The "study visit" today was a good one. I wish I could get some of the older youths to join me, and that these visits to other churches inspire them in their own ministries and propel them to strive for greatness in their service to Him. Besides, God meant for all of us to worship Him in unity; it doesn't matter which church you are from, what matters most is that we serve the same God. Visit other churches once in a while with the right mentality and attitude and you'll stand to gain much. 

Praise God!

So Naturally

My hands naturally clap before you
As my voice reaches you in heaven
My hearts beats in unison with the drums
That signal the coming of the one and only King

I want so much to praise You
Lift my hands and say "I love You"
For in Your awesomeness
That's all I want to do

Can't help but just to praise You
My heart cries out and sings "I love You"
Cause in the light of Your beauty
That's all I want to do
So naturally...

My hands they willingly lift before You
My voice it sings of Your might and splendor
Oh Lord, do not hide yourself from me ever
So naturally my heart praises you my one King

No comments: