Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It's been a while since my last entry. Been a little lazy, I must admit. But the greater reason being that I haven't really been inspired to write blog on any particular issue. Nonetheless, I still wanna keep my blog going...

Took the day off today! Will be going to run some errands then make a trip down to Vivo City (for the first time) to do some shopping and get some lunch with my mum. Really looking forward to that. Later on in the evening I'll be sending my parents to the airport--they'll be flying to Shenzhen.

Just want to share a bit of what I've learnt from my QT today. Am reading deuteronomy now, and am touching on the parts on the laws--basically on punishment and restitution. Y'know, there's this perception that religion's very restrictive and "un-fun" because there are so many dos and don'ts. There are many rules that are spelt out very clearly and precisely in the bible esp in old testament. But I learnt today that many of these rules were placed or imposed by God with very good loving intentions:

1. Spelling out things precisely makes rules or guidelines very practical for our everyday living (so we don't have to deal with the ambiguity or find ourselves trying to bend around rules).

2. Rules help us to put our focus on God; they help us to stay on track and better worship Him in our everyday lives (e.g. first fruits given immediately to help us remember that God is the priority in our life and that if we give to Him first, He'll provide). They deepen our faith.

3. Rules demonstrate God's compassion because some rules or guidelines are crafted to protect the needy or those lower in society (e.g. those with regards to servants and women).

I hope that everyone will gain a new persepctive to rules. Always look for the good in things. When we break rules or disobey God's commandments and we get that tingling guilt feeling that makes us uncomfortable, let's always try to remember the long term gains in abiding in His ways. When we deliberate in our minds and battle against trying to do what's right according to God versus what benefits us humanly, let's remember that God will always provide somehow in the future and we don't have to worry about losing out. We're always winners in God!

No comments: