Monday, February 19, 2007

What's it with "GUYS" and "gurls"?
I mean "CURLS"..."girls with curls"...

Just me and my random questions rousing my brain again...man, I feel like sometimes jogging not only exercises my legs but it's like brain gym when I hit the road or track.

What's it with guys and curls anyway? I hear all the sniggers whenever one of the girls gets a new perm and she walks into the room all ready to ask the "So what do ya think?" question and "BOOM"...y'know what's going through everyone's mind. The "AUNTIE" word just lights up in the mind's semantic web. That word just becomes so available! And in an attempt not to sound too hurtful...the lips twitch and tense up trying to restrain the waves of laughter from overflowing so as not to unleash a catastrophe at the scene.

"It is in y'know! It's back from the eighties". Somehow that gets ignored. Guess our male counterparts just don't have a knick-knack for fashion...probably can't tell between a Prada or a Gucci...but if they do, they get mistaken as you know who. Okay, not too deride their fashion sense. Guess they just can't appreciate what's being displayed at Topshop or Dorothy Perkins. Even the clothes hanging off the racks of the new Riverisland store at Vivo draws sneers and hordes of laughter from young male kids roaming the mall in their oversized t-shirts and cargo pants. "That's something my grandma would wear!"

Back to the "curls" issue. Guess only supermodels can carry those off, the rest of us would just be relegated to "aunties" if we do get that perm (no offence to the real aunties, just that the rest of us really don't wanna be "elevated" to that status just yet...it's premature ya). Guys just have something about curly hair, I guess. Most of them would probably rather be caught dead than have to spot on a curly hairdo and walk along Orchard Road. Can't imagine how those who were born with natural Phua Chu Kang-like locks feel...a serious damage on the self esteem?

Wonder where this practice of perming hair came from anyway? How did it start? Sure there must be some reason why people do it for beauty's sake. And why do the older ladies like to perm their hair? Is there an association with age so strong that when younger girls do it now, they are compared to the "aunties"? Well, whatever it is the bottomline for me is, I probably wouldn't wanna spend money getting one at this point just to get poked fun at. Like my straight hair for now. I know I'm no supermodel. Only till the day when I'm perfectly confident of my outward appearance and of course when I have my extra cash and I don't need to bother about those nasty remarks, I'd probably get one just to try out how it feels and see how I look.

No comments: