Saturday, July 26, 2008

All in a day's work!

I seldom blog about my day so I shall take a stab at it tonight. Well, because it was a whole day of fellowship with people from church and I felt blessed by the company and of course, God's presence amidst it all. Did I forget to mention that I woke up feeling shitty? Yes I did, but God works and prayer works, amen?!

Okay, so in one sentence the stinky stuff that happened to me:
Woke up feeling lousy about myself (maybe it's the hormones setting in? Ok...too much info for now, babe), read the papers and did my QT (after brushing my teeth, of course. Wouldn't want to speak to God with icky breath), had a hard time choosing what to wear (as usual), as a result had to rush and almost got into car accident, later got caught in traffic jam on the way to Suntec, found myself having to meet unfamiliar faces and going through the awkwardness of being an alien in a new social environment BUT...

What turned out well?
The people in that new social environment turned out to be friendly people, met an old classmate that I haven't seen in ages, linked up with nice folks and enjoyed the company as the social barrier disintegrated. It was nice fellowship with people my age (finally!)

What turned out better?
Bought a hundred and sixty-five dollar dress from Massimo Dutti that concealed my plumpness and actually created an illusion of slimness in me--good buy...but no chance to wear now :( 

Okay, I was just kidding...how can something so material be of superior gratification to me than the gift of companionship and fellowship. I just mentioned the dress because I wanna share my joy of purchasing such a great find, and to preempt my mum from any shock when she's sees my credit card bill and realized that I splurged on another article of clothing after spending $600 on a light jacket from G Star yesterday. 

What really turned out great?
The farewell I had tonight. Thanks everyone, specifically the adults for initiating this and the youths for your contribution. I appreciate all the planning and preparation that went into it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt loved...[Cue: Awwww.....] I'll miss you kiddos dearly! And I also want to say that the Nothinless parents are cool! And one more thing. I finally got to see where some of you guys study or purport to study (hmm...) at. The TP campus is amazing; I like the open spaces and green surroundings and at night it's like a endless maze--we took a night tour on car cos' we couldn't find an open gate! Good for night activities during orientation.

Some things to remember this night by:

Question : What is your fondest memory in Moriah?
Answer (lene): Being able to worship God with the youths...(paraphrase: observing you guys worship the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind is like WOW!)










Vocal acts: an old number, original lyric and mandarin song! Thanks for the song you guys wrote for us. The lyrics were very meaningful. Could you upload on FB? Thanks!





A decadent finish!
Supper at the hawker center near Bedok Police Division. Had sambal stingray, oyster omelette, the famous fishball mee (actually it is more accurate to label it as meatball mee) and washed it all down with sugarcane (that was not too fantastic--seriously diluted but I seldom drink sugarcane juice anyways). And of course, the element of human interaction and authentic fellowship through late night supper-makans! Heh, those of you who are abroad and missing home food, I will feel your agony soon!

Ending:
Okay, I always end my thread with something like a moral of the story kind of message ya. So here's a shot. Tonight I really feel a huge sense of gratitude toward God. Couple of years back, I was feeling rather rotten about my social life. I had made many acquaintance-kind of friends, had some bosom friends that later on became less close to me, lost out on forging relations and never proactively sought friendships in uni, and was in a church where there was almost no one within a comfortable range of my age. Soon, I grew accustomed to the reality that I didn't need friends to survive and could get by with my life without them. I was at ease in my hermit enclave. But God being the generous God He is, decided to bless me with friends from work that I can hang out with (the talk kok, sing song, play mahjong type). And all along, I was not fully cognizant of this, but my youth group was always there for me--though most of the kids were a whole lot younger than me. I'm a lot more blessed than what others would call "losers" who only have a pet or a volleyball (what was its name in Castaway?) as their source of companionship. And today when I stepped into that young adults' cell group (did I mention that earlier?), I understood that God binds. I didn't need to possess a long history with these people and they accepted me as a newcomer. Believers can always find friends in other believers. Isn't it wonderful that people so diverse in their cultures, backgrounds, history and personalities can come together and fellowship in Christ? 

Youth groups, cell groups, churches should all be like a huge plate of rojak!

Different groups of ingredients but all mixed together with the dark sweet sauce to form a delectable dish! I think I'm starting to miss Singaporean food...

No comments: