Thursday, August 03, 2006

Got scolded early in the morning today by one of the guests we invited for our function. I was more scared rather than angry. Didn't want to offend this person. Ended up breaking down in the office--kinda embarassing cos' I cried in front of my boss. Subsequently, my colleagues were like one by one coming to console me over the "abuse". That was real nice--not the fussing over me--the concern they showed. Really thank God for the people at my workplace. They are caring and encouraging. Guess that's largely to do with the nature of our profession as well ;)

I love psychology and am fascinated by mental illness. Many people have questioned me before on how I can reconcile religion and the science of psychology? Can a psychologist or psychiatrist be 'religious'? Today's meeting on Offenders with Mental Disabilities/Disorders got me thinking quite a bit. If people are driven to do certain things because of their mental condition, does that mean they are absolved from responsibility?--at least in our law, under some circumstances, they are. If people cannot control their impulses and do something wrong, that's equivalent to sin right? But what would God's judgment be?

If someone is mentally ill/disabled, the law may provide them with concessions (diminished capacity). So will God give these people concessions? Or is it just 'too bad' for them. I'll never know the exact answer but I guess there's nothing that we can do humanly cos' we just can't talk sense into certain people. Hmm...just some thoughts to leave us with--the whole entanglement between psychology and religion.

No comments: