Friday, April 27, 2007

Inspired by the bus conductor

The conductor on the SBS bus no. 170 not only brightened my day as I stepped up the bus at 8 a.m. this morning, but also taught me an important lesson. As I walked up and prepared to scan my EZ Link card, he gave me a warm and cheerful greeting that certainly surprised me. I noticed that he did the same for all the subsequent passengers that came up the bus with the same fervour and sincerity, and yet customising each greeting to the particular individual that stepped up. This simple deed clearly indicated how one could inject so much fun and meaning into a mundane job. Psychologists have studied how altruism manifested through small acts of kindness not only make the receiver happy but also enables the giver to feel a sense of fulfillment. They have also shown how doing good at work (what they term performing organisational citizenship behaviours) can raise job satisfaction. Evidently, the conductor had not only made my day (and others' of course), but also exemplified the powerful principle of how we can help others and at the same time help ourselves feel better.

No comments: