Saturday, July 22, 2006

Message below was to be posted on 19/7/06 (got d/c-ed so had to save it)

Great loud "Hi" to those who read my blog
(esp my mum who is missing home badly),

Had a great dinner today (sushi, sashimi, cockles and loads of fruits)!! Been eating great stuff for dinner with my dad (we eat out nowadays), since mum's not around to cook--maybe mum should spend a longer time in UK so that dad and I can eat out everyday (Just Kiddin' Mummy ;p).

Anyway, these past two days have been good. On Tuesday, I emceed for a seminar organised by my division. I fumbled quite a bit, but everyone, including the speakers from the States, was so encouraging and had only nice things to say about me. Think I can't be complacent; I should put in more effort into reading and practising the script beforehand next time (that's if there is...and I think there would be).

Yesterday, we had a workshop which went into the details covered in the seminar. I really learnt a lot. In fact, I find the interrogation (or rather interviewing...must be careful to qualify that no coercion should be employed) tactics used against terrorists to be very interesting. It involves a lot on the psychology of persuasion and influence. Tea breaks and lunch was superb (same for the seminar on Tue)...getting fat from all the snacking...:(

After the workshop I went, with one of my colleagues, to the new Civil Service Club at Bukit Batok (beside West mall) to swim. It was very nice!!! They have the slides, wave pool, stream, and jacuzzi like those at the Jurong Swimming Complex. My colleague's a member so she signed me in and I just had to pay one dollar to get in. It felt great relaxing after a light day of work (we were dismissed rather early too!). The facilities are quite good, plus it's near my place. Dunno whether should join as a member.

Today, I went for a course on Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (MBCT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)*. Learnt a lot a lot! Would really love to study CBT next time. Can't wait to go back to school to do Clin Psych. Thinking of US or Canada even. But Canada is really too cold for me. If I could go California, then that's the best. Would really hope to apply all the skills I've learnt so far. In fact, tomorrow I'm going to take my first counselling case!! I'm probably going to be more anxious than my counsellee.

*MBCT and ACT focus a lot on self-awareness, as well as the concept of acceptance. Instead of fighting our intrusive thoughts as one would normally do, it advocates letting them come (being aware of them) and letting them go (i.e. accepting that such thoughts exist and letting them sit in your mind until they drift away like a leave in a stream). It is important to note that clients should not ruminate or exaggerate these thoughts though. It's rooted in many world religions--we can't control many things in life and we need to decenter from these thoughts.

Ok gotta get some work done now...till next time...;)

p.s. miss you too, MUMMY! Send my regards to Sis n Andrew ;)

No comments: