Sunday, August 24, 2008

Legal alien in New York on F1-status

It's been almost 3 days since I've been here in NYC and I'm slowly adjusting. When I thought I was doing fine however, I came to see some of the streets of NYC. Yesterday, we toured the Village area on foot and later on Chinatown, and were kinda repelled by the smell and sight of the streets. The subway was kinda filthy, as compared to Singapore's MRT of course. I'm sure it has improved over the years, but it certainly has a lot more room for improvement! I guess I'll have to lower my expectations of cleanliness in the city and make peace with the air conditions here. No wonder they sell toilet seat covers in this part of the world! Unfortunately, these are not available in all public places. But I must say, some of the toilets are pretty clean. Haha, American Standard I guess...

Ok, nasty stuff aside, there were some cool sights and sounds (and smells? Not really). There were lots of eateries and nice colonial buildings. Remnants of Dutch, English and German cultures were evident in the Village area. I was really amazed by the diversity of cultures all co-located in one place. There were rows of Japanese and Italian eateries. And cafes were all over the place, very much like our Holland-V, Alfresco style in Singapore. The guide, Arthur, who brought us around the area, was an elderly gentlemen in his seventies. He was really fit and energetic for his age. And his knowledge of the area was remarkable. His memory was so excellent; I doubt he'll ever be at risk for Alzheimer's! He furnished his introductions with song by breaking out into a little tune once in a while, in an abrupt but natural and entertaining fashion. 

Anyway, I think I'll take a while to get used to NYC. I really wanna love this place cos' I'll be residing here for the next few years! By God's grace, I just happened to begin reading the Book of Daniel for my QT, and had found so much wisdom that is really relevant to me right now. Isn't it amazing that the bible is still relevant today after so many eons?! Daniel first described his adjustment to Babylon when he was sent there as part of a program to get the elite crop from Israel to serve the Babylonian Empire. In Babylon, Daniel had to learn all about the new culture. Nonetheless, while doing so, he chose to maintain his steadfast allegiance to God, and God grant Him skills and wisdom. It is important to clarify that God does not oppose culture, but He certainly is displeased by cultural practices that go against His Word. Wise-old Daniel was able to learn what was necessary in the new place without compromising God's laws. 

So what are the keys for Daniel's success? How can Christians survive in a foreign culture? And what am I going to attempt to do? Here are my strategies (as cited in my most valued Life Application Study Bible):

1. Learn about the culture--be open!
2. Strive for excellence in my work--and hopefully achieve success!
3. Serve the people around me and those in a church.
4. Pray diligently for God's help and intervention.
5. Maintain my integrity--this is vital.

I'm really looking forward to Chapter 2 of Daniel and Chapter 3, the one with the miracle of the burning furnace where they all come out alive and the son of man is seen in it!

Ciao! 

No comments: