Friday, August 22, 2008

The Irresistible Allure of the City

Wow, the weather here is a lot warmer than I thought. It is still summer and I kinda regret not bringing more summer clothes. Anyways, I've given my blog a new facelift. Thought it was only befitting of the huge move. So thoughtful me decided to include some new gadgets on my blog: 2 clocks indicating NYC time and Sing time, as well as a weather forecast widget to keep everyone informed about the weather in NYC...:)

NYC does seem fascinating--the sights and sounds. I am quite far from the action though. My apartment is situated on 3XXX Broadway, located near 123rd street Upper Manhattan. The action is further down between 42nd and 47th Street where Times Square is. But I terribly near Teachers College or TC where Columbia University is. Hee, I can get to school in an 8-min walk. Saves me a lot on transport fees! 

The excitement of moving to NYC was actually transitory. The irresistible allure faded away and then came frustration when it was time to lug my terribly heavy baggages to the apartment and when I had to go out, buy stuff, and lug them back on foot. There were also feelings of anxiety about living with strangers, not being able to move comfortably around the house as before, walking in the streets (with some occasional precarious situations with people getting upset with each other), and having to settle so many administrative procedures and stuff like getting a new phone line and opening up a new bank account. Yucks! 

On the bright side, I wasn't going through this alone. The lonely sunflower isn't that lonely after all! But the confidence attached to a line I articulated to my traveling companion earlier on was indeed waning. I said this: "Stepping out of your comfort zone enlarges your zone". This obviously made sense but it definitely did not reveal the mental strength to be wielded in such an endeavor. In such circumstances, I find myself having to go back to God to seek His mercy and grace, that He will make the transition less painful, effortful and distressing. 

One who can't bring himself to step out will miss out on opportunities to enjoy greater things I guess. The current toil makes me wonder why I decided to make the step in the first place. Nonetheless, I have to gather my courage for now and believe that I'll adapt and enjoy that comfort I used to take for granted once again. Here are some pix of my new room! My landlord painted a fresh coat of apple green paint for the walls. 

View when you look into the room: window, fridge, desk, TV, DVD player, etc.
Opposite view: book shelf, bed, bedside table (hidden) closet with mirror, etc.
Cabinets with drawers for clothes and stuff. Notice board and calendar.
Inside the closet where I keep my jackets, shirts, and luggage.
And yes, the self-assembled fan that looks as though it would collapse anytime.
Note to my mum who may be worried by the picture of the tilting fan: It seems more steady than it looks. 

No comments: