Sunday, June 04, 2006

Got a punctured tyre today! Ran over some piece of concrete the size of half a brick. Felt the car slowly lowering to that side where the wheel was situated as I drove along the PIE after running over it. Then I started smelling burnt rubber and so I stopped at the road shoulder. I got off and examined the tyre which was very badly punctured. I called my parents immediately, followed by AA and asked them to come down to render assistance. As I waited with the car (after putting the breakdown triangle of course), a gamut of emotions and thoughts stirred up in my head. Foremost in my mind was how my dad would react (that wasn't the first time I ran over something on the road. I ran over some motobike fibreglass casing left abandoned on the road that got stuck in between the car and the road before. I dragged it for over a km before stopping and getting help from two kind gentlemen who helped me remove it). I was kinda prepared for a scolding. Next was how lousy I felt over having ran over something for the second time. I had some "should-have"s ringing in my mind. Then the money issue came into my mind. Was thinking how much I would have to spend getting this settled--such a waste of money! I also recall telling God "as if my life isn't bad enough!"
Anyway, dad and mum came. But they didn't scold me, neither did they make me feel bad in any way. Praise God! My dad even offered to send me to church (I was on my way for youth service and was late) and he did. On the way there he didn't mention anything about the tyre at all. Even when we ended up exiting at the wrong exit on the expressway and I was a little uncertain and slower in giving directions, there wasn't any form of impatience displayed. Phew! Anyway, I made it to church though I was late (was hesitating about going to church earlier cos' of the punctured tyre and punctured esteem and morale. I called someone who said that he'll see me in church and I knew I should go to church, so I decided to eventually). Glad that I went to church. When I got there, the worship team was already at the slow songs. I settled down and tried to focus on God. Somehow it was difficult initially, but I simply went on to count my blessings and thank Him for all that transpired. After Ps. Heidi's sermon (which was very interactive and refreshing), James gave an altar call and several of the youths went up. I really thank God for this cos' if I didn't go to church I would've missed the opportunity to pray for some of them, and be ministered in the midst of doing so. God gave me the words to pray and I could just sense how much He was reminding me of certain things that I already knew but needed to be reminded of through the praying. After the altar call, we had small groups during which I exhorted my small group to be more open to share deeper stuff. I also found the courage to share my personal issues. I really hope that we can achieve a higher level of intimacy in our small group.
Thank God I went to church. God always rewards me when I choose to do so. I really felt the devil just putting obstacles in my way today, but I didn't allow him to defeat me. Praise the Lord!

No comments: