Sunday, June 25, 2006

Wow, Haven't blogged in such a long while. Been kinda busy recently plus I can't really access the internet at my convenience at home. Cannot establish steady connection from my room. Anyway, been coming home pretty late from work for the whole of last week. By the time you step into the house, the last thing you would want to do is to get onto your com and start checking your mails.

I moved to my new place last Thursday. All's been pretty good. It's a nice place--what more can I complain about. I'm in familiar territory--been roaming around this area for the past six years or so (though it took me really long to get familiar with the travelling, as most would agree that I'm the Hollan Queen). There are lots of eating places around; there's a gym and pool; and it looks like a resort so you are perpetually in a holiday-mood all year round. And I've got a nice room, with a good view of Bukit Timah Hill.

My parents have been the ones doing most of the leg-work; moving things from the old place to the new one. It's crazy trying to squeeze everything from a house into a condo. We've chucked out many things already, but still storage is quite a tricky issue in the new place. Felt quite guilty not being able to help them out with the transporting, unpacking, and cleaning up. In fact, now I still do. Nonetheless, got a way to make up for it. My mum's just left for UK last night. She'll be spending time with my sis over there for 3 months! So it's father and daughter bonding time with me and my dad. Well, need to show some fairness to my sis. I've been hogging onto my parents for the longest time. Now we each have one parent. So I'd probably need to step up on my contribution to the household--or rather begin doing something at home.

Had grand ideas to cook for my dad initially. Don't know how that's going to go. But I'll probably be the one doing the household chores. My dad's pretty much the traditional Chinese man that doesn't even know how to operate the microwave or cook instant mee. I know most fathers can do that at least! Will see how I can make time to keep him company too. Previously my mum and him were watching VCDs together, going to the movies, buying groceries and eating out together. Think I should make the effort and take the initiative to do things with him. Should start praying for a breakthrough in our relationship (not saying that it bad, just hope to build a stronger relationship).

Somehow as I reached university, I began to become more cognizant and reminded of my parents' mortality. As much as I enjoyed the sense of newfound freedom and autonomy, as well as the knowledge that I was able to accomplish greater things in life, I became very aware that the time I could spend with my parents was diminishing very quickly. I really dread the day when they'll leave me. At this point of time it's something that I won't be able to bear. I recall in 03 when my parents visited me in California at the end of my exchange, I hadn't seen them for close to half a year, and I remembered being so stunned when I saw how my dad had aged in that short period of time. The fact that I haven't seen them in months drew my attention to the vast difference. Now when we see our parents everyday, the ageing process is very gradual and we can't detect the difference.

Anyway, next week is going to be a super crazy week for me at work. Got a seminar coming up on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I've been arrowed to be the emcee! Heh, got to figure out what to wear. Got a whole load of interviews to do, and reports to write after those are done. Still got my project to do. Hope to clock in some hours of exercise too. Didn't manage to squeeze in any this week so I must aim to do a little this week. Want to also squeeze in some leisure time also. Still got vocal classes on Friday and Saturday--my Pastor managed to engage the Malaysian Idol voice coach to come down and do a workshop with us. Heard she's an annointed lady in Christ, man. Looking forward to that. Argh, so many things!! But that also reminds me that I got a lot of room to trust and rely on God. The good thing about being in a state brokenness or desperation is that you learn to cling onto Him. That's how I perceive it. Humans are like that: many times when everything seems so smooth-sailing and you're thriving, God seems like one of the last things on your mind. Relying on Him to bring me through this week, Amen!

No comments: