Monday, January 08, 2007

The Umbrella Principle

SAW that dude at the gym today again. Relax guys...not some eye-candy I've been drooling over while struggling to keep up with the pace of the treadmill machine. It's just this young chap I sheltered from the road to the guard house and then later on from the guard house to the lobby at my workplace.

Funny thing is that everytime our eyes meet (okay only on a few occasions while doing gym), there is this "I've seen you before" look written on his face. And I believe mine probably reflects the same thing. I don't know if he had recognised me but I still remember that he's the guy I shared my umbrella with on that rainy morning.

Y'know, there'll always be these people that you've met before or you've been introduced to but somehow you don't register their faces very well or there's this anxiety if you do acknowledge his/her presence, he/she may not recall who you are. Sometimes, you try to siam cos you don't remember their names (ok I admit, I've done that "despicable" act before...heh).

But anyway, that's not my main point. I'm supposed to talk about the UMBRELLA PRINCIPLE. What is this? It's another one of Char's laws, which is similar to the PAY IT FORWARD rhetoric. Maybe half of it? I've had three occasions (in my current memory bank) in which I had shared (or at least I had tried to share) an umbrella with someone (i.e. a stranger). And they all involved the simple act of giving a little shelter to someone caught in the rain. A very straightforward and easy way to help someone.

The first time (in my memory) was during IDOL AUDITIONS. In fact after that incident I wanted to submit my testimony to the Pay It Forward website...but oh well. I went well prepared for the audition that pouring morning (5 am...can you believe that??). Went in a skirt (cos' the legs of the trousers always get damp in the rain), wore an auntie, floral shirt (the button kind so my hair won't get messed up when I changed), and, and of course the main actor, the umbrella. So I queued up happy and satisfied with myself for good planning. The overnight queuers had to hide from the storm so the queue dispersed, but fortunately for them they were given Idol stickers so that they had their advantage when they progressed to the front of the queue. So I gladly jumped at the chance to queue at the front (well, not that front cos' it was really very very long...u'know idol fever right). Then there were three guys that came behind me and none of them had an umbrella. So poor thing cos' they were dressed in their best, ready to audition. So I decided to extend that simple gesture of sharing my umbrella with the three dudes that were so drenched. So three fellas and one little lady (that's me) were under my golf umbrella, trying desperately to get shelter from the rain. We eventually made it with a lot of other (inconsiderate) people that were trying all sorts to jump queue. Thank God the three guys with me had integrity (though they didn't have the vocals to match it) and refused to give in to the pressure. Praise God cos' I prayed as well. We finally made it to the head of the line where they asked for the stickers...but I didn't have any! Thank God that one of the three dudes was not auditioning but he had one sticker and he gave it to me! At that moment, I just knew it was God's hand cos' I extended that little help which was rather effortless and got help later on in return. Amazing isn't it? I really didn't know that I would need the sticker and was stopped from moving on. Fortunately that the two guys auditioning called their third friend to come and pass the sticker to me. Although they didn't make it to the next round, I would always remember their kindness!

The second time was a few weeks back when this funny looking auntie was held up by the rain at the Neuroscience Institute opposite my office. I don't know how it all started but a few of us coming back from lunch offered to share our umbrellas with her. When we were about to move off, someone came with an umbrella for her (she called someone to come with one). She thanked us and we chatted as we walked back. She seemed very appreciative. Now and then when we see her in office, she'll flash her warm smile and engage in friendly batter with us. It's amazing how people can connect over a simple act! I met her one day again and interestingly we shared umbrella again (rainy season lah)! We chatted heartily as we walked all the way to the MRT station. It was remarkable cos' we talked like real friends. She was so comical and humourous, and she kept saying something like "why a young girl like you want to talk to an old lady like me" (she's sixty....heh, she revealed her age to me). We talked even at the station, on the train...until she missed her stop...heh.

And of course, the third time...I've said it already. Okay so what's the point? After all my grandmother stories, all I want to say is that offering someone a little shelter caught in the rain is such a simple yet powerful act. It is easy but people will remember it because they received help in that time of desperation; in that time of self-blame where you hate yourself for taking the umbrella out of your tote bag after carrying it for so long during those sunny days; and of course in that time where they were almost going to step into Seven Eleven to buy that umbrella to tide over that day.

There were times when I stood at the traffic light junction at Orchard Road, waiting in the rain to cross the road, and I saw some people around me nicely shaded by their colourful designer umbrellas. During those moments, I would have appreciated kind souls lending a hand but I guess they just didn't happen. I'm not rebuking these people cos' they've done nothing wrong. However, they had the chance to do somthing to help a fellow passerby out and they missed that chance. And of course, don't try to act hero if your umbrella is tiny...you need to spare a thought for yourself as well :)

I guess after publishing this in my blog, I'm more obliged to do so and am guilty if I don't because that would mean I'm a hypocrite (ahh...digging my own grave). I'm not perfect but I hope I will try my best to extend little acts of kindess when I can. I hope when opportunities to help arise I would jump at them and offer aid. And of course, I'm encouraging you folks out there to do so as well!

No comments: