Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Haven't put up any pix for the longest time. Blog's getting kinda wordy.



We watched a movie yesterday during our internal research conference. It's called "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" Funny thing was one of my colleagues listed the movie title as "What's Eating Gilbert's Grapes?"...heh, let your imagination run according to where your perception leds you to ya. Anyway, it was a fantastic show. A little on the slow side but really tugs on your heartstrings. Starring Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio, this movie shows the life of Gilbert (Depp) who is the main caregiver for his mentally retarded brother, Arnie (DiCaprio), as well as his obese mother. The movie depicts a turning point in his life when a new girl, Becky comes to Endora (the town where they stay). Major themes include caregiving, mental retardation, as well as family relationships. It's really heartwarming. And it doesn't hurt that you got two "eye-candies" to watch out for during the movie--though Leonardo plays the endearing eighteen year-old with mental disability.

Like this quote from the movie...

Becky: Tell me what you want as fast as it comes to you. Okay, what do you want? Faster!

Gilbert: Okay, I want a new thing....house, I want a new house, for the family. I want momma to take aerobics classes, I want Ellen to grow up, I want a new brain for Arnie.

Becky: What do you want for you? Just for you.

Gilbert: I want to be a good person.

~lene

[Written on 24 May, 1400hrs]

No comments: